Bowen Therapy is a remedial bodywork technique founded on osteopathic and Chiropractic principles that works on the soft tissues of the body to address musculoskeletal and physiological complaints.
When the musculoskeletal system is structurally unsound, the Central Nervous System is compromised, and the biomechanical and physiological function of the body will be impeded.
Bowen Therapy uses a series of manipulations over muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves and fascia to achieve symmetrical tension or tone, in order to restore the structural integrity of the musculoskeletal system. These therapeutic interventions promote optimal function of the Central Nervous System and assist in resolving a variety of physiological and related neurological complaints.
The treatment is designed to stimulate the body’s systems including the nervous, endocrine, lymphatic and fascial. In doing so, Bowen Therapy adopts a holistic treatment approach, addressing the body as a whole while still focusing specific attention on the ailment. This approach is effective at addressing underlying causes as well as providing symptomatic relief.
A key differentiator between Bowen Therapy and other structural adjustment techniques is that Bowen Therapy does not employ the use of direct joint adjustments. The treatment approach is therefore easily adapted to accommodate a variety of patients from newborns to professional athletes.
What does Bowen Therapy treat?
Bowen Therapy assists with a variety of health concerns including:
- Stress and fatigue (see Stress Management)
- Digestive and bowel problems
- Migraines and headaches
- Hip, knee, ankle and foot problems
- Neck and shoulder problems
- Respiratory and hay-fever problems
- Sports injuries
- Paediatric problems (cholic, neck restriction etc)
- Back pain and sciatica (more info in this blog post)
- Earache and TMJ problems
- Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue
- Menstrual and hormonal problems (see Women’s Health)
- Groin pain, pelvic tilt and uneven leg length
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbow